Sunday, February 4, 2007

At Beachcombers Island

February 1 to 3, 2007

Beachcombers was a disappointment. It didn’t have the expected level of water sports. Parasailing looked like a bore – they put you in a parachute harness on the beach, tow you into the air for a while and drop you back on the beach. Basically an amusement park ride involving no skill and virtually no chance of breaking your neck -- I couldn’t see dropping $70 bucks on that. The wind was only right for windsurfing a couple of hours in the afternoon, and it decided to rain both days. More substantively, the place was infested with depressingly young backpackers. I spent much of the time catching up on my blogging, and am now virtually up to date. So my loss is your gain.

A word on my blogging approach. I have been writing up rough notes as I go and then expanding on them when I have the time. Then when I hit an internet connection I’ll do a quick check to make sure they are sufficiently bitter and sarcastic and pop them off to your eagerly waiting eyeballs. But I’ve been traveling in some primitive, low bandwidth lands and a backlog is building up. Hopefully, on my flight tomorrow to the Cook islands I’ll be able to post them all. I’ve started putting dates on each so that you can see when the events occur, since the posting date is set by when I get the internet connection and submit it.

Your faithful correspondent,

Walkabout Dave

1 comment:

Couchpotato Greg said...

Hi WD -- Just watched the new episode of Lost and was relieved to see you're not on it. Still it made me think of you. Any signs of odd magnetic fields there in the South Pacific?