Monday, March 5, 2007

Charting the Peregrinations of the Walkabout

To permit you armchair travelers to better follow along, I’m pleased to present a map showing my travels to date (the blue line) and projecting forward my remaining adventures (the red).


I note with mixed feeling that the blue line is now longer than the red and that at my present stopping point in Chiang Mai, Thailand, I have reached the furthest limit of my explorations. Henceforth each passing day will bring me closer home. And though that occasions regret for the places I will not visit or people meet on this particular trip, I do feel the pull of hearth and home, of friends and kin, and look forward to reuniting with you all. But do not think that my return will mean the end of my walkabout. I will continue to be an adventurer, as should we all. Whether in exotic Asian lands or in my own backyard, many further explorations await before the last chapter of the Walkabout saga is written.

But enough with the schmaltz. The boo requested an upside down map, eliminating the Northern-hemisphere-centric approach of most maps produced in our latitudes. I am pleased to also present that here. This shows how the adventures of the Walkabout appear to readers in the Southern hemisphere, at least the dyslexic ones:


Your faithful correspondent,

Walkabout Dave

5 comments:

kc said...

Dear David,
Please check your email. All my emails to you are being sent back to me as undeliverable. Also, send update.

Anonymous said...

Heads up Walkabout! without the support of StayatHome - well, let's not go there...

Solesister said...

Hey bro-- well your loss is our gain... I have some electronics questions that I didn't want to bother you with in the South Seas or embarrass myself publicly (the ring on the camera that you turn, that's the zoom, right?). Actually, I was inspired by your fearless adventures and went out and bought a digital SLR camera ON MY OWN ... I hope I did the right thing... It's not returnable... Nikon is a major brand, right?

Anyway, enjoy your remaining adventures-- looking forward to the slide show.

(I'm having a lot of trouble getting this blog site to recognize my password)

Anonymous said...

Walkabout, Loyal reader hears your slight twinges of homesickness between the lines of your blog. Let's ride (as I am not a walkabout) some of the red line together. Until then, keep the wind at your back and gather tales to tell.

the boo said...

Walkabout Dave,

You can't see it, but I'm pouting.

-the boo