Saturday, February 24, 2007

Dave braves the depths of Mordor and returns to brag about it

February 19, 2007

I have completed the fabled Tongiriro Crossing in the central North Island of New Zealand. This is a 10 mile trek climbing 900 meters up and across a wild mountain plateau, threading between three majestic and sometimes active volcanic peaks, across ancient dry volcanic lake beds and around not so dry volcanic lakes. It crosses landscapes so alien and striking that I have given up all hope of written description and finally gone to the bother of figuring out how to post pictures.

Here goes:




















If that tallest peak looks eerily familiar, no you are not channeling back to some ancient past life as a Maori. Rather, that is Mount Doom, deep in the depths of Mordor, where Frodo and his faithful sidekick Sam, accompanied by Gollum, went to return the ring of power to the fires from which it was forged. They did some special effects to the top to get it to spew fire (in the studio, I mean, not to the actual volcano), but otherwise it looks pretty much as I recall from the film.

Here's a photo of your faithful correspondent approaching Mt Doom. You can see how the dark power of the ring is weakening me; the evil wizard Sauren finding my weakest point and sending his orc hosts against them (my iliotibial bands of course). But I persevered with minimal ITB issues. Take that, forces of darkness!




















Here are some more photos of terrain that may look familiar to LOR fans:



Altogether an excellent hike and much recommended.

Your faithful correspondent,

Walkabout Dave

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Photos, Amazing! I am so glad you have concored a new level of the technology curve. Thank you soo much for sharing the photos. You look fairly rugged in your shot. In my mind I had pictured a more Gollum like individual.
Travel on!

Anonymous said...

I want to see the turtles! Come on everyone - TURTLES! TURTLES! TURTLES!

Anonymous said...

The pictures are really amazing. That is soo cool/